Answered By: Kathryn Park
Last Updated: Jul 31, 2019     Views: 989

The best database for this is EBSCO Academic Search Complete. You can access it from the EBSCO Academic Search Complete page in the How to Use EBSCO guide (see link below).

First you will have to break down your question into concepts on which you can search. The first one is easy, learning disabilities. The second one is harder, how are these children affected whether their disabilities are recognized and treated. I suggest that you try terms like intervention and developmental. In fact you can try both.

Here is how to get started:

  1. After getting to the database, enter "learning disability" AND reading AND (intervention OR development) in the search box.
  2. From the result list go to Refine Your Results on the left, select the Full text and Scholarly (Peer Reviewed) Journals boxes and hit update. You may also want to limit by date to more recent articles. You will have over a thousand articles at this point and will need to narrow down. 40-60 or less is usually a good number. It let's you know that you have successfully limited the articles to the opens closest to your subject. 
  3. So now you will need to use the Subject: Thesaurus Term and Subject options. Find them on the left side of the screen below Refine Your Results. Click on both of them and see what subjects are listed. A good option is under subject ---development. Click on it and update.
  4. Now you just have articles where development is a main subject and it should be a good number from which you can choose articles for your research project.


Answers by Topic

Ask COM Library Home

Back to Ask COM LIbrary

Today's Hours

More Ways to Ask

COM Library Visit us at COM Library

email  Email us

call  Call us at 409-933-8448

SMS  Text us at 409-229-4142

  Fill Out a form

Get more on: