How do I get peer reviewed articles on LVN versus RN scope of practice?
The definitive nursing database is CINAHL, but we have others that cover medical issues as well. You can access CINAHL and all our nursing databases from the Health & Nursing tab in the Databases by Subject LibGuide. If you select EBSCO: All Health, Nursing & Medical Databases you will have the option to limit results to scholarly (peer reviewed) resources so that's the option I recommend.
Since you are essentially searching two different topics, LVN and RN, the best approach to your search is to:
- Start with the phrase scope of nursing practice.
- Limit to peer reviewed under the Limit Your Results box.
- Limit to full text under the Limit Your Results box.
- Limit dates. As a nursing student you should not use anything older than 5 years.
- At this point you may be able to pick out enough articles that cover both RN and LVN.
- Add LVN the search box after scope of nursing practice to get all articles that focus on LVN.
- When you have found enough articles on LVN, replace LVN with RN to get all articles that focus on RN.