How do I add a running header in Word to an APA style paper?
For an APA header you need the title of your paper on the left, and the page number on the right. The header on the first page is a little different -- you need the words Running head: before the title on the title page. Here is how to do it:
- Go to the Insert tab in Word. Select Header from the Header & Footer section.
- Select Blank Header, the first option.
- Click on Page Number on the top left. Select Top of Page, then Plain Number 1. The pages will now have the page number on them.
- Type the title of the paper in all caps. If it is over fifty characters, use a shortened version of the title.
- After typing the title, place the cursor immediately to the left of the page number. Press tab until the page number is on the right of the page.
- Select the Different First Page option at the top center. Make sure you are on the first page and repeat steps 3-5, but include the words 'Running head:' before entering the title.